Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Beginnings

It is only the second week to an exciting, fresh New Year—2010! Wow, when I look back over 2009, I cannot believe of all the things I've been through...most of which were totally unexpected and full of change. And if I recall, most of my New Year’s Resolutions were not fulfilled. However, the one that I was able to accomplish was "to read the entire Bible in a year". Thank God I finished, especially with my accountability partner making sure I pull through, haha!

Well, now that we have greeted 2010 back on January 1st...I think it’s time to consider the resolutions for the next 365 days. The goal is to start small, realistic, and then follow through until completed. One resolution is to read the Bible for the whole year again. There's just something about reading God's Word that just doesn't seem enough for one year. It seems that every time I read the same stories again and again, there are new lessons to be learned and promises to meditate on. And having to read some passages each day for the whole year would definitely teach you how to be consistent, persistent, and possibly motivated to really want to grow in your spiritual maturity. But this all cannot happen unless you have Jesus Christ in your heart. I mean, how can you be passionate about something (or in this case, someone) unless you know what/who it is you’re being passionate about…I don’t know if I’m saying it right, but does that make sense?

Another area in which I would like to resolve is “stepping out of my comfort zone”. I think this is one area I would really like to change in myself. I’ve always been so used to doing this that made me feel comfortable--avoiding things that may seem “out-of-the-norm” for me. At the same time, I ask myself, “How is this effective in living out as a Christian…since this is the name I bear.” The thing is…it’s not effective. If I am so settled in my comfort zone, how will I be able to share the love of Jesus to others? Instead of growing in my faith, I’d regress until Christ’s name is no longer reflective in my life. But isn’t it true? I have done this too many times not to be able to recognize this. Whenever I miss out on some good quite times with my Creator, or fail to read His book, or miss out on an opportunity to express my faith…I only grow into a deeper sense of separation from Him. But the amazing thing it that, because I am a child of God, He will never leave me or desert me…but rather, He will love me unconditionally. On the other hand, since He is my Heavenly Daddy, He has to discipline me in a way a father would discipline his child, especially if I do something that isn’t right.
I’m sure that along the road of 2010, I may discover other things that I may like to resolve, but until then…

Take care and God Bless!<><

No comments: